Book Now

Interstate & New Zealand Drivers

Do I need to convert my licence to a Victorian licence?
For up to three months after arriving, you can drive in Victoria if you have a current interstate or New Zealand (NZ) licence/learner permit, even if you are under 18 years of age.
After three months you must change your licence to a Victorian driver licence.
If your time in Victoria is interrupted whereby you return interstate or to NZ and take up residency for a period of time, the three month period begins afresh from the date you take up residency again in Victoria.
You must be 18 years of age to apply for a licence in Victoria. No age exemptions apply.
If your interstate or New Zealand learner permit or licence is (suspended, disqualified or cancelled) as a result of a driving offence, demerit points, medical reasons or due to unpaid fines, you will not be able to obtain a Victorian equivalent, until your ban is over.
How do I convert my licence to a Victorian licence?
Conversion of an interstate or NZ licence/learner permit to a Victorian licence or permit will be conducted by appointment only. To make an appointment contact:
  • VicRoads by calling 13 11 71 (Mon-Fri 8.30am – 5:00pm, Sat 8.30am – 2:00pm), or
  • TTY (for hearing and speech impaired) on 1300 652 321
Please note that if you are more than five (5) minutes late for your appointment, you will be required to transfer your appointment to the next available time slot and pay another appointment fee.
At the time of your appointment you must provide:
  • Evidence of identity documents
  • Completed VicRoads Licence/Learner Permit application form
  • Court Order (if required, for a previous Victorian drink drive offence)
  • Your interstate or NZ licence/learner permit
  • New Zealand applicants must also provide a letter of verification (referred to as a Certificate of Particulars) from the New Zealand Transport Agency verifying that the New Zealand learner permit and/or licence is current at the time of conversion.
VicRoads must verify your licence details from another State/Territory prior to transferring your licence, this can take up to 48 hours.
Surrender of interstate or New Zealand Licence and Permit
When you are issued with a Victorian driver licence you must surrender your interstate licence/permit. New Zealand licences and/or permits will be returned after details are recorded on the Driver Licence System.
Test requirements
If your interstate or NZ licence is current or has expired by less than five years you will not need to undertake a test.
If your interstate or NZ licence has expired by five or more years you will need to undertake a knowledge test and a driving assessment at a VicRoads office.
You should study the ‘Road to Solo Driving’ handbook to prepare you for the test. This is available from VicRoads Customer Service Centre, RACV offices, some newsagents and bookshops and is available in 5 languages.
If a test is NOT required
Call VicRoads on 13 11 71 (Mon-Fri 8.30am – 5pm, Sat 8.30am – 2pm) to make an appointment to attend a VicRoads Customer Service Centre. There is no charge for the appointment.
At your appointment, hand your current licence to the Customer Service Center and provide evidence of your identity (see below), you will then be issued with a stamped data card receipt and your new Victorian licence will be sent to you in the mail.
If a test IS required
Call VicRoads on 13 11 71 (Mon-Fri 8.30am – 5pm, Sat 8.30am – 2pm) to make an appointment. You can pay the appointment and test fees by credit card (Visa or MasterCard) at the time you make the appointment.
If payment is not made over the phone, the payment must be finalized within five days or the appointment will be cancelled. Payment can be made by cheque or in person at the VicRoads Customer Service Centre where your appointment is scheduled.
If you want to change an appointment you will need to pay another appointment fee. The test fee can be transferred to a new time (or refunded if the test is cancelled) if 24 hours notice is given.
Test vehicle
VicRoads does not provide vehicles for drive tests. You need to ensure the vehicle you will be using meets the conditions of the vehicle allowed for driving tests. See About the Drive Test.
Evidence of identity
To convert your licence/learner permit to a Victorian licence you will need to provide original evidence of identity documents. You must provide:
  • your interstate or NZ licence/learner permit
  • one primary evidence document (eg. passport, Australian photo driver licence/permit)
  • one secondary evidence document (eg. medicare card, phone bill)
  • evidence of Victorian residence if not on secondary evidence document (eg bank statement, utility bill).
One of these documents must have your signature on it.
For a full list of documents that can be used to prove identity, see evidence of identity.
Eligibility to qualify for a full Victorian licence
To obtain a Victorian full driver licence you must:
  • be 21 years of age or older; and
  • hold an interstate or New Zealand full driver licence; or
  • have held an interstate or New Zealand probationary driver licence for at least three years from your 18th birthday.
If you are under 21 years of age or have held your licence for less than three years, the appropriate P1 or P2 probationary licence will be issued depending on your age and the period of time the licence has been held.
Any period where you have been disqualified from driving either in Victoria, interstate or New Zealand, is excluded when calculating the period of time you have held a licence.
There is no fee for converting an interstate licence. Your new Victorian licence will keep the same expiry date as your interstate licence.
If you have a New Zealand licence or an expired interstate licence you need to pay for a Victorian licence, refer to driver licence and learner permit fees.
If you need an appointment and are required to undertake a test, you will need to pay an appointment and test fee, refer to driver licence and learner permit fees.
There are no fee concessions available for appointment, test or licence fees.
For more information click here………..